Travel to the United States

Citizens of many countries do not need a visa to travel to the USA for tourism, which includes “participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating.” If you are traveling from a country that requires a visa, get information from the US embassy or consulate in your country. If you need a letter of invitation, send your request to the contact e-mail for the championship organizers.

Air Transportation

The city of Boston, Massachusetts is served by Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) with non-stop flights to destinations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Other nearby airports include:

T.F. Green Airport (PVD)Providence, RI
Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT)Manchester, NH
Worcester Regional Airport (ORH)Worcester, MA
Bradley International Airport (BDL)Hartford, CT

Train Transportation

For those who prefer rail transport, Amtrak offers service to multiple stations in the Boston area.

Ground Transportation

Competitors and visitors are expected to provide their own ground transportation during their stay, as is customary at American orienteering and ARDF events. Persons who will need transportation assistance to the event site, or to/from an airport, bus or train station must notify the organizers at the time of registration and we will try to accommodate if possible.

Public transportation does not stop near the event sites, so a car is recommended. Parking will be in lots with limited spaces (they fill up on nice days), so please consider carpooling. Carpooling with friends makes the traffic seem more bearable!

Massachusetts has a few toll roads. If you fly into Logan Airport and rent a car there, you will drive through a toll tunnel or bridge upon leaving the airport (no toll is charged on the trip towards the airport). The Mass Pike is the other toll road in the area, but it is not necessary for getting to any of the competition venues. All of the toll facilities in Massachusetts are now fully electronic and do not accept cash. The electronic transponders use EZ-Pass, which you can sign up for in advance (if you know your license plate number ahead of time). Other options include an On The Go (OTG) transponder that you can only purchase at retailers in Massachusetts, or paying by mail (an invoice will be sent to the license plate’s registered address). Rental car agencies also offer their own arrangements for paying tolls, which will be the easiest option (but maybe not the cheapest). You can find out more here.

If you wish to avoid toll roads completely, consider flying in and out of Providence’s TF Green airport instead of Boston Logan. The event hotel is almost halfway between the two airports.